Saturday, January 22, 2011

5 most significant foods in Portsmouth


Salaam
Suddenly I feel like talking about food, since my tummy is still crazily gurgling and growling since this morning. Well, finding food in Portsmouth is not as hard and as expensive as I expected initially. In fact, some foods such as pastries, cakes, cheese, pizza etc. etc. are cheaper and you can have them without spending much, even when
converting to Ringgit. It's common anyway. Products from Asian will be the opposite. You might pop your eyes out to see Hup Seng cream crackers is priced at £6.90 (nearly RM 40.00). I saw it at once Chinese shop, China town, in the city of Westminster central London. I put it back on the shelve and tried to forget how perfect my tea break would be when munching the cream crackers half-dipped in Teh O..sedapnye..sedapnye. Halal meat and chicken are also within reach.The only things that would be
best not to dream about at all perhaps chicken legs and cow's stomach. Don't hesitate to contact me if you can find it anywhere in the UK =D
Now back to the topic. Below is the list of what I always have in Portsmouth, through thick or thin :D

1. CHICKEN DONER KEBAB @ KEN's

Available at Ken's, you can have one for about £3-£5. As far as I can remember my first taste of this type of
doner kebab is during the first day I hit in Portsmouth. It's
totally different from kebab that I usually see at Pasar Malam Malaysia. Hurm.. the taste is not bad, and it can sustain you longer. For the sake of others' sense of smell, please consider chicken instead of lamb. XD





2. MEGABITES BAGUETTE





This is another common lunch at the peak of my laziness t
o cook. It is actually a long thin loaf of French bread. I really enjoy the crusty outer part of my baguette. The longest baguette I've seen is 1 meter long, and surprisingly Ipi bought it for only £1. To a large extent I think UK is heaven for wheat based food lovers. I'm sure that it is not the same asRoti John in Malaysia. Baguette is even tastier with the selection of filling such as tuna mayo, chicken mayo, egg mayo, chicken tikka, and prawns. My choice is always tuna mayo but now changing to chicken mayo. I'm still adapting the taste of chicken that is mixed with the sweetness of raisins. Oh no...nak satu..yummy





3. MAK CIK's JACKET POTATO


This one is also among the best food inventions on earth..[exaggerating]. It can be regarded as a food of luck, depending on the Mak Cik, whether or not that she wants to run her business or not. I think her stall is the most inconsistent one that exists in the midst of commercial road. The potato is baked until the skin is crunchy and the interior is perfectly fluffy. It goes smashingly with tuna and sweet corn and melting cheese and of course top with butter and peppers. We normally share one jacket potato between two or three. I'm sure that small eaters like Malaysian will not be able to eat up one jacket potato. [I'm referring to the one and only Mak Cik's potato.. :D]
Aargh thinking of the Mak Cik unwrapping her potatoes making me drool.





4. FLAPJACK





Flapjack is a healthy food that I enjoy most in Portsmouth. Using the same concept as Cornflakes Madu in Malaysia. The only difference is that muesli and porridge oat are used as a replacement of cornflakes for the based. 20 pieces for £1.89 and two boxes for £3 at Co-operative shops. That is the normal price even in Tesco, Asda or Sainsburry. I won't think twice to grab it whenever I crave for biting flap jack. The perfect flavour is golden syrup. [You can guess how far that it can be considered healthy XD]
I still remember eating almond flapjack. Consequently, 4/5 of it safely thrown to the nearest dustbin at Gunwharf XD.Eugh!




5. FIG ROLL




Have you eaten Kuih Potong? Fig roll is actually like that but it has slightly different and delicious taste which I could not describe precisely. Only if you love buah Tin (fig), then you can surely imagine the taste. It is quite a cheap pastry, you can buy one packet consisting of 10 fig rolls for not more than 70 pence. I eat fig roll in UK but it is actually an ancient Egyptian pastry, ironically XD


Gosh.. I think I better stop, go downstairs to and cook. Just see what's left in the fridge T,T...nak balik!!

No comments:

Post a Comment